Monday, September 15, 2014

Instant Starbucks and Drive Thru Healing

If you are like me, you like things to happen NOW.
From instant oatmeal to instant coffee, I like things to happen at this moment.

But some things take time.  

Forgiving someone who hurt you very bad…
Getting over an ex…
Getting a song cut…
Waiting for acne medicine to kick in…
Waiting for bangs to grow out…
Waiting for healing….
Growing in faith…

I never can stick to Bible reading plans.
I have all the plans and every book to help me get through it, but nothing seems to work.
Here is a confession: I haven’t read the whole Bible through yet.
I remember telling this to my friend, who then went onto look at me like I had just committed the greatest sin ever.  
Apparently you can graduate with a Ministry degree without reading the whole Bible.

I decided last week that I was really going to attempt, yet again, to read through the entire Bible. 
Mark seemed like a good place to start. 
Why not Matthew? I don't know. 
I was never one for coloring in the lines. 

While going through Mark the other night, I found something pretty awesome.

In Mark 8: 22-25, we see how Jesus heals a blind man with his spit.

“He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?”
He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.”
Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly.”

As I've mentioned before, my healing has been a process, and continues to be a process.
Some people are instantly healed from addictions, I was not.
Some people receive instant miracles, I did not.
I have asked Jesus over and over again, why I still struggle with food and my insecurities.
I have pleaded to Him for healing and freedom.
I have begged Him for complete restoration.

For whatever reason, I used to believe that healing should be instant.
I assumed that my faith was not strong enough, and this was the reason I was still dealing with image issues.
Even now, I know that there are still issues at hand that I need more healing with.

And then I read this passage in Mark.
 Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?”
He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.”
Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly.”
Some.
Things.
Take.
Time.

For whatever reason, this man needed Jesus to touch his eye’s not once, but two times.

Just because the answer hasn’t come, doesn’t mean it never will.
Just because you still struggle with stuff, doesn’t mean you don’t have enough faith.

Jesus offers complete, not half, not partial, but complete restoration.
Just because I still need healing does not mean I give up on Him.
Rather, I continue returning to Him, every second, every minute, and every day.

Don’t give up on yourself because you still doubt.
Don’t give up on yourself because you still struggle.
Don’t give up on yourself because you still hurt.

Looking back, my struggle and years of healing have shown me more about Jesus and myself than I would have ever learned from an instant recovery.
While I still have a long ways to go, I see amazing grace in every step I have made thus far.

Don’t give up on yourself.
And don’t give up on your faith.

Some.
Things.
Take.
Time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment