Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Worst Cooks In America


About a month ago, I received a call from a casting director in LA, letting me know that they were interested in casting me for a reality show.
 
The reality show was called, Worst Cooks in America, on the Food Network.
After introducing himself, he said, “Ok, first off I am obsessed with you, and want you on the show. Secondly, did your boyfriend really break up with you because you couldn’t cook?”
“Yes. Yes he did.”
Apparently some guys really take, “the way to a guy’s heart is through food,” seriously.
 Moving on…

I was on craigslist hours before he called, looking for a second job. Somehow, I found the casting call link for this reality show.  I’m not sure why I even applied, but two hours later, the casting director called me back.
Next came an interview with a different director, then a skype call with another director, and then another.
Out of hundreds of applications, they were still interested in me.

I even made it to the final casting round.
If I happened to make the show, I would fly to New York, where I would stay for 4.5 weeks.  If I happened to make it to the final round, I would come back to Nashville $25,000.00 richer, before taxes of course.

I placed the decision in God’s hands.

Sure, it would be really cool to learn how to cook from Bobby Flay, and to get to stay in New York for free.
However, if the show would demean me in any fashion, or show me in a negative light, I didn’t want it.

This week I found out that I didn’t make it.
I told my mom, who instantly wrote me and said, “Your dad and I aren’t disappointed in you”.
Before I could even start feeling bad about myself, and feel as though I let her down, she let me know that I didn’t.

Shockingly, I took this rejection pretty well.
Oddly, my friends were the ones who were disappointed.

Based off of my other blogs, you probably have a good sense at how I usually take rejection.
I complain and ask God, “Why?”
I obsess over what I could have done differently.

But this time was different.
I knew that God had the ultimate say, and His answer was, “No.”
And for once, I trusted Him.

In fact, I am shocked with how unaffected I am with them not choosing me.
I didn’t even think thoughts like, “They didn’t pick me because I wasn’t skinny enough, pretty enough, or looked good on camera.”
That is a first.

It’s as if this whole experience meant to show me how much I had grown.
It’s as if God used this whole casting call to show me how much I actually did trust Him with my life.

 And  I realized I am not scared of rejection.  
This is a good thing, because I am in music.
I will hear many more, “No’s,” than, “Yes’s.”
But, I can handle it.

I have no deep, insightful, philosophical truth to this blog except this:  Rejection is imminent.
We will all be rejected from something, or someone.  

Rejection means that you are trying.
Even though it seems like a step back, it actually keeps us moving forward.

Perhaps one day, I will learn how to cook. 
Just not today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment