Monday, August 18, 2014

The Golden Ticket


Saturday night, one of my dreams came true.

I have lived in Nashville for 2 years and 7 months. Since being here, I have tried numerous times to go to The Bluebird. Every single time fell through for some reason.
Eventually, I stopped trying.

Saturday morning I woke up to a message through Facebook. It was someone from Mercy Ministries, asking me if I would like to share my testimony at The Bluebird that night.
I didn't think twice.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

As I was getting ready, I started laughing.
Isn't it ironic that it wasn't until I stopped trying to get tickets, that I finally was able to get one?
Not only that, but I would also be given the chance to share my faith. That was definitely a bonus.
I couldn't have asked for a better first visit to the famous music venue.

This isn’t the first time something like this has happened to me.

There was the one time I frantically started applying to every job under the sun.
No response. No call back.
Nothing.
It wasn't until I stopped applying and stopped looking that I finally landed one.  

There was also the time I finally gave up looking for a relationship.
I was relatively new to Nashville and wanted a boyfriend desperately.
From Starbucks to the Green Hill YMCA, every guy was a potential candidate.
Nothing.
Not one.
It wasn't until a random Saturday at a clothing boutique that I met a guy who I would date for a moment in time.
Even though it didn't last, I remember how God brought him into my life when I stopped obsessing over it.

Surrender.
I dislike even typing the word.

I like control.
I like to know.

Surrender is giving up the control.
Surrender is allowing life to happen.
Surrender is saying, "I give up".

Surrender is actually one of the bravest things you can do.

The most amazing things have happened when I have stopped trying to control my life.
The most beautiful relationships have formed when I stop trying to order my fate.
The most profound moments have occurred when I have loosened my grip on the world and its desires.

Much like sailing up at the lake we are on in Michigan, I can try and control the boat, but I will never be able to control the wind.
Ultimately, I don't have the final say.

But thank goodness for that.
My life would be a horrid wreck if I was the master of it.

I'm thankful for a God who has control over everything, even the wind.

What I do know is that His plan is better than our plans.
Even when they don't seem to make sense.
Even when they appear to be filled with tragedy and disappointments.
He promises that the end will be worth it.
 
If we let Him in, God will use us in ways that will blow our mind.

Let it go.
Lay it down.
Because you never know when God will surprise you with your very own golden ticket to The Bluebird.  

No comments:

Post a Comment