Monday, December 29, 2014

But I Love It


As I watched my niece open her gifts on Christmas morning, I was reminded of a picture I had seen awhile ago.
 
The picture shows Jesus, standing in front of a little girl, asking her for the teddy bear she is holding. Above Jesus, are the words, “ Just trust Me.”
The little girl, clinging to the teddy bear, responds back, “but I love it God.”
What the little girl is unable to see is the  larger teddy bear Jesus is holding behind His back.

Last Thursday morning, I watched as my 4 year old niece started to pass out the gifts that were underneath my brother and sister in law’s  Christmas tree. Every gift she found was for her younger sister.
I watched as her young face went from excitement to disappointment.
What she didn’t know, and couldn’t see, were the presents to the side of the tree. These were the presents that were all for her.
Her heart sank because she thought that Santa had forgotten her.
And in that moment, I thought of how I have the same exact reaction with Jesus.

All I’ve ever wanted, for as long as I can remember, has been a relationship.
In fact, every Christmas, I think to myself, “Maybe this is the year I get a boyfriend. Maybe this is the year that I have someone for New Years.”
And every year, I watch Christmas and New Years come and go, without any signs of a significant other.
On the surface, it seems as if God has forgotten me.

It is really easy to get incredibly disappointed when I think of how my prayer hasn’t been answered. It is really easy for me to get discouraged and think it will never happen.
It is really easy for me to want to give up on God.
Like the young girl in the picture, I start doubting Jesus. In fact, I cling to relationships and people that aren’t meant to be, because I would rather have someone than no one.

Watching my niece on Christmas morning, reminded me to keep the faith.  Just because God hasn’t answered my prayer, doesn’t mean  He won’t.  
Watching my niece on Christmas morning, reminded me that things aren’t always what they seem.
Just like, "Santa" didn’t forget my niece, God hasn’t forgotten about me.

I also know all too well that some prayers are never answered on this Earth. I am not promised a relationship despite it being a desire.
Despite this truth, I still hope.
I still believe that Jesus is good, and that He cares for me, despite what my circumstances look like.

Do you trust God? I mean, do you really trust Him?
If I am honest, there are many times I would rather not.

Like the little girl, are you holding onto something that God has asked you to lay down?
Do you believe He has something better in store?

Are you like me, and have a life-long prayer that hasn’t been answered?
Are you like me, and have moments when you want to give up on God? Or, have you already given up on Him?

It’s hard to continue believing for something that may not happen, but I do.
Against all hope, I hope.
Above all else, I continue to trust.

Will you trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment